|Chilli Flakes||1 heaped Tsp|
|Tinned Plum Tomatoes 400g||2|
|Caster Sugar||2 Tsp|
|Spaghetti, or similar pasta||300g|
|Fresh Basil leaves||20|
|Salt & Pepper|
Aubergine & Tomato – Tuscany on a plate
Local Grocers’ fan Camilla, the_skeptical_vegan, has sent us another recipe where she has made fantastic use of ingredients from our partner Collins Fresh Produce. Roasting the aubergine in advance produces a superb caramelised flavour.
She continues to discover exceptional vegan food. The marriage of the roasted aubergine & tomato is a delight for the tastebuds. This is an adaptation of Ottolenghi’s Pasta alla Norma and we think you will be delighted when you try it.
- 1. Using a peeler and working from top to bottom of each aubergine, shave off long alternating strips of peel so that they look striped. Cut widthways into 1cm discs and place in a bowl with 75ml of oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Mix well, then spread out on two large non-stick trays. Roast for 30-35 minutes, until dark golden-brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- 2. Put 2 tablespoons of oil into a deep sided frying pan and place on a medium high heat. Add the garlic and chillies and fry for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the garlic is light, golden brown. Add the tinned tomatoes, oregano, sugar, balsamic vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a grind of pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes, until the sauce is thick. Remove the oregano sprigs and stir in the aubergine. Set aside.
- 3. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions and once al dente, drain and retain some cooking water.
- 4. Add the spaghetti to the sauce and mix well, adding two thirds of the basil, add a few tablespoons of the cooking water if the sauce has become too thick.
- 5. Divide between four bowls, then top with the remaining basil.