|For the batter:|
|Free range Egg||1|
|Sea salt & black pepper|
The delicious family favourite
This recipe has morphed somewhat over the years. Mrs Beeton suggested a pound of beefsteak in her classic recipe collection “Everyday Cookery”. We are going with the modern take on Toad-in-the-Hole and are suggesting sausages.
Our friends at WH Thomas produce the most delicious Ecton Banger which is the lynchpin of this recipe.
- 1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Brown the bangers in a frying pan or the oven with the oil for about 20mins.
- 2. Into a mixing bowl put the flour, ½ tsp salt and a generous grind of black pepper. Make a well in the middle and crack the egg into it. Then slowly add the milk, whisking all the time.
- 3. Put the goose fat in a 9″ square roasting tray and place on the hob until it is melted but make sure not to burn it.
- 4. Transfer the sausages to this tray and pour over the batter mix. Put on the top shelf of the oven until plumped up and browned at about 30 minutes.
- 5. Serve your Toad-in-the-Hole with gravy or with Taylors Original English Mustard and a dollop of Stokes Tomato Ketchup. The Stokes range of sauces are award winning and should be a staple of your larder.